Prof. Pedro Merino
Currently the Malaga testbed is an experimentation 5G cluster composed of 3 main installations.
- The Malaga-UMA (5G-UMA): The main data centre and deployment of 5Genesis 5G platform in Malaga, located at University of Malaga, which integrates the results from TRIANGLE and the outdoor deployment implemented in 5GENESIS.
- The Malaga-MoM (5G-MoM): The part of 5GENESIS deployed at the Malaga city centre and coordinated by Malaga police to test PPDR services.
- The Malaga-TEL (5G-TEL): The Edge in the 5GENESIS project by Telefonica.
Key assets in the current infrastructure.
- Full automation of experimentation and testing of indoor deployment with local and remote access (mainly based on Open5Genesis suite and commercial testing tools).
- First class emulators for 4G and 5G (including mmWave up to 39GHz).
- Remote heads and multiple-frequency bands for cellular connectivity from NOKIA: 2.6 GHz for 4G LTE micro and pico cells, 3.5 GHz for 5G NR micro and pico cells, 26 GHz and 28 GHz for 5G NR.
- Software for core network of 4G (EPC) and 5G (NSA and SA) from Polaris (Motorola Solutions).
- Equipment to create SIM cards.
- Deployment at UMA campus for fully controlled experimentation.
- Deployment at Malaga city for real scenarios.
Services currently offered by the infrastructure
- Testing application in the devices with respect to external services
- Testing full services with virtualization and slicing in an end-to-end 4G/5G environment
- Automation of experiments with local and remote access
- Support for multidisciplinary research, with special support for connected cars and PPDR, but open to any vertical or multidisciplinary research
6G-SANDBOX extensions and new features
The three installations of the cluster (5G-UMA, 5G-MoM, and 5G-TID) are already evolving and will be further enhanced in the context of 6G-SANDBOX. The Malaga Site will be enhanced with all the software components developed in 6G-SANDBOX to create the trial networks and network digital twins (i.e., the components that will be hosted in the 6G Library) and will integrate 6G components at the physical infrastructure layer that are related to:
- Disaggregated RAN and Reconfigurable Intelligence Surfaces
- O-RAN with the related SW and HW emulation components of Keysight
- Integration of fixed/RAN and NTN with EDGE/MEC, and use of OneWeb satellite mobile backhaul
- Deterministic networking using P4 language
- Features to support extended reality and haptic communications